It’s safe to say that most people cringe at the thought of getting a colonoscopy. However, it’s a medical procedure that’s necessary in maintaining good health. Aside from that, there are several other benefits to the procedure that involve helping to detect early cancer, shedding some light on symptoms such as abdominal pain and anal bleeding, and much more.
If you’re nervous to visit your doctor for this routine exam, be sure to take into consideration the many benefits of a colonoscopy to help calm you down.
How Does it Work?
The process of a colonoscopy starts by having a doctor insert a long, thin tube with a camera attached to it to the end of your colon. This helps to check for abnormal tissue as well as abnormal growths called polyps and ulcers. Should any polyps be found, the doctor can go ahead and remove them during the procedure.
Typically, patients are told to stick to an all-liquid diet prior to the procedure to ensure that everything goes as smoothly as possible. You may even be required to empty out all your bowels using a laxative. The procedure itself takes anywhere between 30 minutes to an hour and it is recommended that you are dropped off and picked up by someone else.
Benefits of Getting One
As mentioned previously, there are several benefits to getting a colonoscopy. In fact, experts suggest that you get one every 10 years, although you should be screened more often if you have underlying conditions.
The good news is that a colonoscopy has the potential to save your life from a deadly disease as it allows doctors to screen you for cancer and any other deadly conditions. The sooner your colonoscopy gets done, the sooner a doctor may be able to catch anything out of the ordinary and save you a few trips to the doctor and even save your life.
If it is about time that you made your next appointment for your own colonoscopy, be sure to find a doctor that can be trusted and has plenty of experience, as well as a clean and hygienic office. Regardless of what your condition may be, you can rest assured that there are experts out there who are able to offer the highest standard of care possible for all types of gastrointestinal and liver disorders.
- Why It Is a Good Idea to Opt for Gentle Dentistry? February 28, 2024
- Can Dental Cleanings Help Decide Your Oral Health Fate? February 15, 2024
- Sip & Smile: Indulge in the Irresistible Joy of Bubble Tea February 12, 2024
- CPR for Different Age Groups: Tailoring Techniques for Infants, Children, and Adults January 25, 2024
- Redefining Beauty: The Increasing Demand for Eyelid Surgery in Enhancing Facial Harmony January 19, 2024
- What Are the Benefits of Coolsculpting? January 16, 2024
- Lifesaving Know-How: First Aid for Pet Owners December 21, 2023